Google

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Exposure

Exposure - the most important word in photography? And I think to some extent people have made it so complex by discussing it over and over in n different ways and "compensating" in all possible ways! And a poor guy who starts with exposure is bombarded with fundas like exposure, compensation, histograms, color clipping, highlights, lowlights, exposing to the right/left, exposure correction during RAW processing etc, etc. By the time one reads through all such topics and digest something out of it, you would have forgotten shooting!
And I had already tried a bit of it while waiting for my camera. Hence once I got my camera, I never bothered about all these theories and started shooting based on live view on my LCD, compensating + or - as and when I felt it enhanced the shot to my liking.
And now when I look back, I feel that what I have done was the best possible thing as I have realized that personally for me, it is the impact of the final shot that matters, and if a shot can get the impact that I want, it should not matter whether I have underexposed or overexposed. The only criteria I now have for my pictures is whether I like it that way or not. And digital do help in this regard to shoot with different settings and then choose the best later once you start post processing...

1 comment:

Chris Nielsen said...

You know there's no such thing as 'correct exposure'. I guess as long as it's not clipping shadows or highlights you are free to choose whatever exposure looks good to you!